Wednesday, December 17, 2014


A good friend of ours was speaking at a conference in New Jersey a few weeks ago. We decided we had to get together, so we met in the middle and settled on Philadelphia, which was especially fun since none of us had ever been there before.

Hal decided the night before we were supposed to leave that he should be responsible and stay home and study for his next CPA exam. Boo grownup life.

That left us with my very first all girls weekend. And it was such a blast.
Trophie and I drove up from DC, which was just a short 2 1/2 hour dive. Not bad at all. We did airbnb for the first time and it worked out perfectly. We were a 20 minute walk from downtown.
Now if only the weather had cooperated with us...right after this picture was taken it started raining, and didn't stop for the rest of the day. We were walking to what we thought were the Rocky steps. Just FYI, the Rocky steps are not the courthouse. But I'm so glad we ended up not being in the right place, because we decided to talk to the Liberty Bell and stumbled upon this treasure.
It was probably one of the best flea markets I've ever been to. We all walked away with something and I knocked out a bunch of people on our Christmas list.  We could have spent hours inside the market. Vintage clothes, pictures, ornamets, and amazing new crafts as well, jewlery, purses made from kimono fabric, and even a stand where they made their own shoes. I would highly recommend it if it's open while you're there.

Sadly we couldn't stay there all day, we had Little Cambodia to get to.
We met up with the Mullers, another married couple we served with and they showed us all of the little Cambodia sights.
We ate curry, lok lak, wedding salad and Tim even had some good 'ol frog legs. They walked us around Little Cambodia and we went inside a Cambodian grocery store, a Cambodian movie store that literally could have stepped right out of a market in Cambodia. It was so perfect. We saw the local wat that sadly wasn't open.
We said goodbye to the Mullers and headed back to the house for a few minutes to rest. Then we realized if we didn't get up and go we were going to end up spending our only night in Philly sitting on the couch, so we bundled up and headed back out into the rain.

We may have gotten splashed by some cars  and ended up a bit wet. Poor Erica got it in her mouth!
Our last stop was the Liberty Bell. We went at night since people told us not to bother waiting in the line to see it from the inside. You have no idea how much effort the below picture of all of us took for us to get, but we did it!
We had such a blast in Philly I don't think any of us were ready to leave. We fit a lot into our one day in the city and we ate so much delicious food. Even though we didn't get to see everything, it's ok because it gives us a reason to go back. Especially since Hal didn't get to come...and had food poisoning instead of studying. Poor Guy. We'll be back, we promise!


Krysten Quiles said...

Oh fun, looks like you had a great time!

Ashley said...

Philly looks pretty cool (and freezing)!! I love your monocle picture...haha!

Rachel said...

Aww, too bad Hal didn't get to come (and was sick too!) but that does look like a fun getaway!

AiringMyDirtyLaundry said...

That looks like so much fun!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Glad you had a terrific time {sans the wet pants and all} in Philly. Love the city!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Totally jealous! I keep wanting to go there! I've flown through there a few times but never got to see the city!

Blogging tips