Friday, November 7, 2014

50 Best Day Hikes: Bulls Run Mountains Natural Area

Hal and I have more hikes from our book that we haven't posted about yet. Looking at these photos makes me antsy to go on one last hike before it gets too cold. This hike we did after some friends suggested it and we found it in our book as well.

Bulls Run Mountain Conservancy is actually a hike we did around our anniversary. It's listed as Moderate in our book, 3.5 miles and should take 2-2.5 hours to hike. We actually ended up hiking 4.5 miles, and did it all in about 3  hours.
The information in the book doesn't include hiking to the overlook, and I'm not suggesting you add the overlook to the hike, I'm demanding. It's the most amazing part of the hike and is wonderful after you've been hiking on a rather steep incline for a while. 

We also somehow missed the turn off to see the battlefield trench, which I also promise is worth backtracking for. They have signs on each side, where the confederates were, and where the union soldiers were, with a quote from a solider on that side about the battle that took place there. This is one of the things that drew us to this hike. Out west we don't have the history like there is out East. It's very cool to see these sites that are so important to our country's history.
 I also maybe almost stepped on this baby copperhead snake that was just chilling in the middle of the path. It started moving right as I was about to step over it. I jumped as high as I could and almost crapped my pants. Luckily it just slithered over into the side of the path instead of biting me.
I would highly recommend this hike. It is a bit of a drive out to Manassas, but it's really worth it. At the start of the hike I didn't understand why it was rated moderate, and thought I was just getting so amazing at hiking. Then reality hit when we started a pretty steep ascent uphill. The book is pretty easy to follow on this hike, except for it's exclusion of the overlook part. Sometimes the numbers on the trails were a little hard to follow, but having the map in the book made it a bit easier. 

I definitely think we'll come back to the area to do more Civil War hikes.

No comments:

Blogging tips