Thursday, August 15, 2013

We've Been Home A Year!

Today we have been home from the Peace Corps for exactly a year. Man, this year has just absolutely flown by. The rest of the volunteers from our group will be coming home in three weeks. I remember exactly how they felt. Like there was just never going to be enough time to get all of the things you wanted done. You only have one shot at being a volunteer like that, at that point in your life and you have to make the most of it.

I remember being so excited to come home, and yet so sad to leave my new found home, the place I had come to love. And now we've been home for a year and it feels like Cambodia slips further away every day, which I hate with my whole heart.

So in honor of being home for a year, I thought I would share some fun things that I never posted about back when we were in Cambodia.

FIRST is a video that I just love to death. My assistant school director was a woman, which is really unusual in Cambodia. She was an awesome lady. She invited Hal and I to watch dancing one random day. We weren't really sure what was going on, but as volunteers do, we accepted. It ended up being that she taught apsara dancing to some students and they were getting ready for a performance, and they invited us to watch a practice. Some of the girls in the video were my students and were pretty psyched I was there to watch them practice.


SECOND. My very last day of teaching my private class I decided to do something fun. I had recently seen this video and decided to teach my students how to say it. Perhaps some day I'll splice their individual attempts at saying it, but here is us all together trying to sing the word very slowly.


THIRD. I miss me some monsoons. I didn't realize how much I missed them until we had a mini monsoon in Utah after not having rain in so long. Hal and I went outside and just watched it and let it spray us in the face. I saw the most amazing monsoons while in Cambodia. I picked this video, not because the monsoon is fierce, but because who doesn't love amazingly cute Cambodian kids as well as unintentionally spying on your neighbors?


I hope that we can continue to remember the wonderful things we experienced in Cambodia, and that we can make it back there before we forget all of the language. Cambodia just stole my heart and left my with an undying love of adventure.

5 comments:

Kayla Peveler said...

That monsoon is INSANE. Looks amazing. I want to play in it!!!

Angela said...

Awww what great memories!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

You have so many great memories! Maybe on day you can go back on a trip.

Susannah said...

That monsoon makes me miss Taiwan like crazy! Isn't it amazing how our times overseas truly do mold us into who we are?

Rachel said...

Time passes by so fast. It's crazy. I've missed your blog posts!! And the different 'homes' we have at different times in our lives totally shape us permanently!

Blogging tips