Friday, December 7, 2012

6 years to goodbye

Today is the 6 year anniversary of my mother's death.

I think the hardest thing about losing someone you love so dearly is having to get used to the fact that they are gone.

I think a tender mercy of losing someone you love dearly is recalling memories you haven't thought of in a long time, so you get to have them with you, even just for a moment again.
 My mother was a beautiful person. I love this picture of her. When we found it in the garage after her death I was honored to have my niece think it was me with dark hair. I love the fact that I look a lot like my mother, and to see myself in pictures of her when she was young. To know that she's always a part of me.

At the killers concert this weekend Brandon Flowers played a song as a tribute to his mother and he talked about how your parents both give you a little spice, a little flavor of life, and how you get to keep that spice inside of you, even after their gone. I really liked that, that your parents each give a little flavor that help make up who you are.

And just as a special treat, here's a picture I had never seen of my parents until I came home from Cambodia.
I just love this picture. I think it perfectly shows that feeling of exictement a couple has on their wedding day.


Thanks for my spice, mama.

6 comments:

Jillian R said...

great post, Sam. You're mom was an awesome lady. those are beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing.

*juli* said...

Beautiful!!

Torrie said...

Such a beautiful woman--you do look a lot like her :)

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

You are the stunning mirror image of your beautiful mom!!! And I know you treasure it.

Hugs to you...even a few days later, but that's okay I hope.

xoxo

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

You definitely look like your mom. I'm sorry to hear that you lost her early in life though. Sending good thoughts!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Wow you really do look like your mom!

It is so hard to lose people we love so dearly, I feel like they take a piece of our heart with them. I definitely know my grandma took part of my heart with her... and I'm sure your mom has part of yours.

Blogging tips