Friday, February 21, 2014

There's something to be said about familiarity

When we came to DC in August of last year we weren't intending to stay. I think that's why I had such a hard time being home for Christmas. I felt like it was my last bit of time in Utah. That I had to give it up too soon. I had thought we had at least another year in the state, and there were so many things I had wanted to do, and returning to DC meant they might not happen for a while.

We never intended on staying in Utah permanently so I was fine moving elsewhere, but having to give it up so quickly has made me feel very nostalgic towards Utah. Can you believe I've never been to one of the national parks in Utah? Arches, Canyonlands, Zions; none of them. Now going to them means planning a vacation, something I never even had to think about before.

As much as I have dissed on Utah over the years, it's a beautiful place to be. Beautiful in more than just the stunning landscape. It's where my favorite cookie shop is. It's where my mechanic who is amazing and honest is. It's where the best yoga teacher I've ever had is. It's where my family is. It's beautiful because it's home.

How do you find those things in a new place? How do you find them without having to try a lot of crappy cookies, or get gouged by a mechanic first?

How do you make a new place feel like home?

I'm pretty sure these mountains will always fee like home.

3 comments:

Angela said...

So beautiful! I never liked my home or realized the beauty of it until I moved away. :)

Torrie said...

I think it's like your post title says---it's all about familiarity. Right now, you're not as familiar with D.C, so it's hard to love it as much. But over time, as you allow yourself to be open to new experiences and new things, it will gradually become much more familiar and much more like home.

It doesn't happen overnight (heck, I've lived in Logan for over 7 years, and I STILL say "going home" whenever we head to Bountiful), but now it's like I have multiple places that feel like home, and that's pretty cool.

Hope you're doing all right out there :)

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Whenever you are away from "home" you get to miss things and actually see its true beauty. I know the feeling.

Nominated you girl for a lovely award - something I haven't done in years. lol

Blogging tips