Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Mr.

So as most of you know I have this husband. His name is Hal, and he's a study-holic.
The main reason we're here in Utah right now is because of school. He got accepted into BYU's Accounting Program. This is a top 10 program. Like they have 100% job placement after graduating. How the program works is you have 1 year in the "Jr. Core" and then reapply and spend 2 years in masters school. So you don't actually even get a bachelors degree.

Right now he's in the Jr. Core program, and he's loving it. I'm loving it a little bit because he's loving it, and also not loving it a lot bit because he's kind of married to BYU right now. His professors call the wives of Jr. Core students "Jr. Core Widows". You have no idea how many times I've heard this term over the last two months. If that term was a real life thing I would have strangled it by now, and not felt sorry about it.

So even though I hate that term, on those nights when Hal's pulling an all nighter for the second time in two weeks, it sucks. I don't call myself a Jr. Core Widow....at those times I like to think of it as you have this pretty awesome guy living with you, and who's pretty darn good looking, but has an evil controling master who lives in his textbooks and doesn't let you spend time with him. That sounds much more accurate, right?

In all honesty his program seems amazing. He comes home at least once a week telling me about some amazing presentation he had today and how now he he wants to do some new fangled area of accounting for the rest of his life.

Even though there are some nights where I'm lucky if I get a half an hour with him, or if he even comes to bed, I'm still so proud of him. He is giving this his all. He is working so hard for our future. He is so unbelieveably busy and stressed that he lost 15 pounds in a month, but he has an alarm on his phone called "Sam Time" to remind himself he needs to stop what he's doing and spend time with me. It may be small to some people, but that's just about the sweetest thing a busy man can do.
Oh, and lucky him, it's his 26th birthday today! Last year I was sick on his birthday and we weren't allowed to leave our province yet, so I'm making up for it this year. We'll be patroning our favorite Thai restaurant followed by a screening of the new James Bond movie!

Happy 26th to my Mr. Thanks for being so dedicated!

7 comments:

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Oh my goodness... accounting huh? That sounds icky lol. But it's good that he loves it anyway!

Rachel Keppner said...

Happy Birthday, Hal!!!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is get used to it now, once he is an actual accountant it won't get much better, until he becomes a Senior Accountant, which thankfully my husband just got promoted to.

And Happy Birthday Hal!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Wow! That program sounds great but hard!! He must be one smart cookie! Happy Birthday to him!

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys! Get at it Hal! & keep being supportive Sam. See ya soon soon!

-Arnoldo

Torrie said...

Happy birthday to Hal! Now you're old like the rest of us!

I have a feeling I'm going to know just how you feel once Matt hits grad school for physical therapy...I'm not looking forward to it. So I just try and focus on how great it will be once he's completely done with school.

That'll be the day, huh?

Traci said...

Happy Birthday, Hal! Good luck with your program and all the studying! It'll be over quicker than you know :)

Blogging tips