Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pumpkin Carving Cambodia Style

Halloween is my favorite holiday and was not included on my list when I prepared myself for missing the holidays, so when I realized that I was going to miss any resemblance of Halloween I was pretty bummed. Then I thought about it, you know, this is supposed to be a cultural exchange, so I decided to share some of my culture with my host family, and we carved "pumpkins".

They don't have pumpkins here, like what they have in the US, but they were going to have to do. Here's our tiny baby pumpkins.
Hal set to work on carving his.
Our family was very interested in what we were doing. They're generally interested in anything that we are making in the kitchen, but once they realized we weren't making food they were a little confused. Once we broke out the candles and started cutting them, I'm pretty sure they were even more confused. But by the end of our carving session, I think they were pretty impressed with our pumpkin work. So even though they probably have no idea why we put faces on pumpkins and lit a candle inside of them, they liked it enough to want to be taught how to do it.
The bananas in the background just add to the exchange, as they were given to us by our family, from one of the million banana trees in the backyard. So I say cultural exchange = success.

3 comments:

Jena Roach said...

Turned out well :) I like that you guys were able to bring Halloween to your home so far away! :)

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Awwww, love your pumpkins...and the cute bananas in the back. :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, I'm glad you were both able to carve them and share a little bit of our American culture with them as well!

Blogging tips