Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving pies

Before I get into the Christmas posts I figure I should do some my Thanksgiving post. We had such a fun Thanksgiving, Hal's whole time family came into town, so it was wonderful to spend time with everyone, especially since none of them are coming back for Christmas. We tried a new tradition this year. Apparently Hal's aunt's family has done this for years so we decided to try it. Since in a lot of families the women do the work for the Thanksgiving dinner they make the guys take care of dessert. Each guy has to make a pie and then everyone rates them and a winner is picked.

I was SO impressed with all of the pies. Hal's family knows how to cook, and from scratch! Here is a picture of all of the pies.

We were all so stuffed even from such a little taste of each of them. Lets see, we had a pumpkin pie, a pumpkin cheesecake, a key lime pie, a chocolate satin pie...I think that's what it was, a chocolate bourbon pecan pie, and a creme brulee pie.

Here are all of the boys with their pies. They worked so hard on them, and they were all really really good! Hal made the Key Lime pie. He actually made my pumpkin pie from scratch (even a real sugar pumpkin) a few days before, but then he found out his dad was doing pumpkin and so at like midnight the night before Thanksgiving he went to the store to get stuff for a key lime pie. I found him a recipe that didn't use key limes, since he couldn't find any, but then being the mathematical mind he is...he read that they were 2-3 times stronger than regular ones, so he calculated how much extra juice he needed....Bad idea...It was good, it just didn't set up all of the way and was well...very potent, so it was just right in the little taste testing bits we had.

The winner was....

Dane, the baby of the family! His was definitely my favorite. He made a creme brulee into a pie. Essentially a huge delicious creme brulee. I couldn't stop eating it. The next day I just sat there and just ate it for like 20 minutes. He added pretzels to his crust. I normally don't like graham cracker crust, but the pretzels made it so good.

Most holiday traditions have to do with Christmas, so it was nice to have a new one for Thanksgiving. I can't wait to see what everyone does next year. How could they even step it up?

4 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

It looks like they had an awesome time making those pies!!

Jillian said...

oh my goodness that is an awesome tradition!!!! the pies look awesome!

Lauren @The Little Things We Do.... said...

oh my!

i am SO jealous of all those delicious pies! dessert at my in-laws on thanksgiving was a total fail - only 2 (not very good) desserts! what???

next year, i'll be bringing the pie :).

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Oh, this makes me hungry girl. Those pies look amazing. :)

Blogging tips