Monday, June 14, 2010

Adventures in niece and nephewland

Kiddos can be fun. Hal and I actually have a lot of nieces and nephews. Our sister in law actually just had a baby on the 2nd, to add another boy into the mix. I haven't been able to meet him yet. They live in a far off land called Texas. They're coming at the end of the month and I'm SO excited to see both of their kiddos!

I hope you don't mind me stealing this picture off of your facebook, jessi!

Isn't it funny how boys are just such boys sometimes? As I have watched my nephews grow up they have become less and less interested in me and they have become more interested in Hal. When I go to my sister's house they ask me where Hal is. Boys just want someone to wrestle with, for real. This last week I went to my niece's dance recital. My sister's two boys were going nuts with excess energy. Once Hal got there they were pretty happy. He had one on his shoulder while he chased the other one around the lobby. It's moments like that which make me excited to have kids with him one day, because I know he will play with them and love them even more than his nieces and nephews.

No wonder they like him better. I just do stuff like this (see below) with them when I babysit and play hide and seek with them for like mmm...an hour straight. There are only so many places you can hide when you're playing for the 20th round and there are only two rooms in which you're hiding....and when a certain someone peeks the entire time he's counting.


You want to know the cutest thing ever? My friend told me that she wished people would share more of the times when spouses are sweet to each other. I know a lot of bloggers only talk about stuff like that, but I'm not really one of them, so I thought I would try and do that more, share the times when we are real people, when we're sweet and maybe a little bit of when we're mean.

That's not the cute part, this is. Hal missed our nieces dance recital because he got off work late. He wasn't too sad about missing it (weird). haha, anyway. He kept texting me asking if it was over. We left a little early and were out in the lobby starting to take picture when some weirdo came up behind me and grabbed me. Even though he didn't want to come at all to the recital, he made a big effort to come and see our niece. The best part? He even brought her a treat from the Sweet Tooth Fairy (they make THE best cupcakes ever). He had stopped there on his way to his last job of the day and then felt bad he was missing the recital so he gave her his cupcake. She was pretty excited about the cupcake. I was pretty excited that I have such a thoughtful hubbyroo. haha, what a dorky pet name. Good thing I don't actually call him that. My niece did great, just in case you were wondering.

2 comments:

mikey and kimby said...

I like this! And it's true, the only time my nieces and nephews seem to like me is when they want someone's lap to sit on. Otherwise they just want Mike to wrestle with them and to give them rides on his back while he walks on all fours like some sort of beast.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, I love getting to spend time with nieces and nephews! How fun!

Blogging tips