Wednesday, March 27, 2013

First Birth As A Doula

Since I became able to attend births as a doula a few weeks ago I've had the opportunity to attend two births.

The first birth I ever attended was for the sweetest family. They are just the calmest, most loving couple I know. They were scheduled to be induced for their third birth. With less than a week before the scheduled induction they were so kind to invite me to come to their birth.

As part of being a doula, you have pre birth meetings with them, to go over their birth preference plan, their fears, their ideals, and to educate. I met with this sweet mother a few days before her scheduled induction. We had a great meeting and it was good to get an idea for the type of birth she was wanting. I had taken work off on her scheduled induction date a few days away.

But in the way of most births, she went into labor in the wee hours of the morning, just after meeting with me. She is pretty much a rockstar and labored at home for hours. She text me when they were heading to the hospital. She was already a 7! (great for her, but sad for me since I have to be with the mother from a 4 on for it to count for my certification). I wasn't sure if they'd still want me to come, but both her, and her husband were so nice and still wanted me there. I left work as early as I could and made it there just in time for her to finish dilating. She had to have a spinal done since her epidural didn't work. She was so brave and allowed 3 nursing students to attend her birth. She said later, that the extra positive reinforcement was really helpful.
Once she started to push the nurse told her to tuck her chin to her head and push (Grrr, this is not the best way to push, since a lot of the force goes to your head, causing it to turn red, or purple, thus they call it purple pushing) After she pushed like that for a few times the nurse left to page the doctor again and I quietly reminded her to push with her throat open, like we had talked about. The nurse came back in and the mother started pushing with an open throat and BAM that baby was down there and crowned in just a few pushes. The nurse said stop pushing! and paged the doctor again. Well, while we were all waiting she had another contraction and little girl came out all on her own and was caught by their wonderful nurse.

Their little girl was beautiful and healthy, and had some great hair. I was so glad that I was able to be there. They took her baby off to get warm and see if it helped her lungs and left the mother alone in the room for up to a half an hour multiple times, so I was able to just sit and talk with her for a while, it was wonderful. It was amazing to see that the things I learned and suggested helped. They helped her get her baby out quickly, and they helped her establish breastfeeding quickly. That was SO cool to me. Like wow, they really do work!

Stay tuned for the story of my second birth as a doula.

*This post was made with permission from the mother

9 comments:

Angi said...

Ah that is so cool!!! I've never heard of different ways of pushing (tucking chin vs. open throat) and didn't know one was better than the other! Good to know for the future...this is why I need a midwife/doula, haha!

Torrie said...

I think that's so interesting that you do that--I kinda wish I had the nerve, but I guess I'm okay with the fact that I'm kinda squeamish about some things. I've never been to a live birth, so hopefully I don't freak out when I'm the one actually in labor...

:)

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Wow this is super interesting. I'm not sure I could ever do it but I think you're awesome.

Susannah said...

What a wonderful experience to help bring new life into the world. :-)

Anonymous said...

what a cool experience for you!

Rolled Up Pretty said...

I want your job! GOOD FOR YOU! This is awesome! :)

Ashley said...

That's so awesome that you're now a doula. The whole birthing process is such an incredible experience. it really is a miracle!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

You're awesome girl. This is beyond cool and I admire that you can do this. I think I just couldn't.

Rachel Keppner said...

Way to go! It sounds like you were a wonderful help to that sweet mama! Nice work. :-)

Blogging tips