Tuesday, July 17, 2012

That time we tried Durien

Have you ever heard of durien?

It's supposed to be the world's stinkiest fruit. It's supposed to smell awful and taste awful, and the western world doesn't understand why Asia loves it so much. Well when you grow up eating it, why should it taste really disgusting to you?

Hal and I bought a durien for our host family. They're really big, and people love them, therefore they're expensive. We bought a small one to try and be nice and share with our family. Our host mom cut it open and everyone was excited. It was unripe and everyone was real disappointed. Fail.

We came home about a week later and Bookie had bought another one. This one, she said was ripe. We watched her cut into it and the look of delight on their faces at the ripeness. We prepared our selves for the awful smell everyone said would come. Either we've smelled awful things in Asia and gotten used to them, or it just smells a lot like jackfruit, which doesn't smell great, just kind of too sweet, like overripe.

So we tried it. I didn't love it, but it was edible. In fact...Hal kind of liked it.
Ruling: Eh, I've had worse.



3 comments:

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

I have heard of durian, but never tried it. You are very brave:)

*Erin

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I've never heard of this but it sounds interesting. I love how you guys gave it a try. I probably would have passed after the smell of it.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I've never heard of this but it sounds interesting. I love how you guys gave it a try. I probably would have passed after the smell of it.

Blogging tips