Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dried Fish

No Really, do you know what home dried nasty fish smells like?
Wait, let me rephrase that. Do you know what 5 kilos (11 pounds) of dried fish smells like?

No? Well let my enlighten you. It smells like death.

This lovely fresh batch of dried fish sat around the house for a food week or two before they decided to do something with it. It sat in the living room on the cases of beer. When I was locked out of our room for 3 hours earlier in the week I couldn't even nap in the living room because of the pungent death smell.

So what are they doing with this fish? Sending it to America. Right. I know. Bookie has a sister who lives in America and apparently has a hankering for some dried dirty river fish.

They spent $105 to send 11 pounds of death to America. $105?! That's like a bajillion dollars over here. That's more than our rent!

A PCV told me a story about how her host mom used a blow drier to dry some fish, and brought a suitcase full of it to her family in Australia. I thought she was crazy pants. Well, not any more. Not any more.

No comments:

Blogging tips