Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Planning a trip to Scotland

We've realized something lately. We're going to have to eventually ET, (that means early terminate) Because of Hal's acceptance to BYU's accounting program we have to be back in the US by August 2013, and we wouldn't officially be done with our service until early October 2013, so we'll to ET like a month and a half early. If you ET you can't opt for the money for your plane ticket and travel. You have to take the plane ticket directly home. That put a kink in our plans to hit Europe on our way home. But you know what? I have a month off from teaching school in April, and I have an amazing husband, who is taking me on my dream vacation. He's taking me here.
via
I've been a wee bit obsessed with Scotland for as long as I can remember. Have you ever felt drawn to someplace? I feel drawn to Scotland.

So we've got the approval and have started planning our trip. Neither of us have ever been to Europe before, so we we need your advice. Have you ever been to Scotland? Have you ever been there in early April? What was your favorite thing you saw there? Have you ever rented a car in Europe before? 

We've decided to fly into Glasgow, rent a car and see the countryside. Here's a map of our tentative trip.



What do you think? We also have one night in London on layover. What's the best thing to do in London between 6 pm and 6 am? What's your favorite place to eat?

Please, give me your advice and share your stories of visiting the UK with us. We're so excited about this, we had to share our excitement with you all!

Update: Planning a trip yourself? See my Scotland tab to see what we actually did. We ended up flying into Glasgow, spending a day there. Then going from Glasgow to Edinburg, to meet my sister, spending a few days there, then back to Glasgow for another day, and on to our rental house in Colintraive where we stayed for almost a week did lots of day trips.
We found the best rental car deal from Alamo, and found the best rental house deal from vrbo.
We did day trips to Dunoon, Argyll, and Isle of Skye. If you do anything. DO drive through the highlands.

6 comments:

Torrie said...

Wow, what an amazing opportunity! (gotta say, I'm just the teensiest bit jealous, but still way happy for you guys!)

The one time I went to London, the metro got bombed (remember that?) and had to evacuate to Paris. However, I would have loved to see Les Mis at the London Theater, which was what we had planned to do there. Have fun planning!!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Oh wow, Sam, I'm so excited for y'all. You'll have a blast in Scotland. London has so much to offer, restaurant wise that is since you will be there around dinner time! It all depends on what you are up to during your very short layover. :)
I know my favorite place but totally forgot its name...oops...will look it up somehow and let ya know. Remind me please! ;)

Katie said...

What exciting news! I'm sure you two will have an amazing vacation!

Leah said...

GAH THIS IS AMAZING!! I'm so excited/jealous for/of you. :) I've never been to Scotland, but I bet it'll be beauuuutiful... As far as London goes- Piccadilly Circus is a cool area, as is Covent Garden. You should definitely take a ride on the London Eye (huge ferris wheel) if you have time. Also, London has great Indian food. Take me with you? :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

How exciting! I LOVE London!!! I lived there for a year and it was amazing. You can hit some major sights and see them at night! You won't be able to tour them during that time frame but you can easily hit Big Ben, Buckingham Palace and see Parliament. You might also be able to get on the London Eye if you can get there early enough because I think it runs until around 8pm. It's worth the money because you can see the whole city and ride takes about 20 minutes.

Kyla Makay said...

So exciting! :)
I want to go so bad!
Ky
www.thebirdssay.blogspot.com

Blogging tips