Friday, July 8, 2011

James Irvine Trail

After our leisurely walk down to the ocean in my last post from the Redwoods we decided to do a much harder hike. We drove from Del Norte woods (where we camped, and I would suggest camping there. It is a lot less crowded since it's not advertised as old growth. Parts of it were clear cut a while ago, but the campsites are amazing. You aren't too close to people and the trees and plants hide you from the other campsites.) down to Prairie Creek Campground. After looking at the maps at the visitors center we decided on the James Irvine Trail, and Fern Canyon, and then head on out to the beach from there.

I'll save the Fern Canyon pictures for another post since seriously, it's so amazing that it deserves its own post.

It took us like 4 hours to do what the guide said would take 2. Not so much. It really wasn't that difficult once we started going and got used to the pace. Although what we thought would be a nice hike, ended up into about a 12 mile hike.
I learned so many cool things about Redwoods. Like how their bark doesn't really burn, so the middle will burn and the outside will still be there, and it will stay alive and other trees will grow out of it SO cool. I love that when a tree falls down over the trail they just cut out the part that went over the trail and leave it all there.
 After what seemed like ages we finally made it to the beach. Yahoo! Too bad it was real cold by then, and the fog had rolled in. I was too cold to go swimming, so I designated myself the picture taker and just got my feet wet. That was enough cold for me.
We decided to head back once we knew it would get dark if we took 4 hours to get back. Luckily it only took us 2 hours to get back.
Can you see me?
Can you see Hal?
How about now?
Then Charles hugged the tumor tree that was one of my favorites.
We had so much fun hiking in the midst of the Redwoods. I wish that we had more time there, that we could have done more exploring, but after spending all day in the forest I felt petty good about actually having seen the redwoods.
If you're ever traveling through Crescent City, seriously take Highway 101. It goes through multiple state redwood parks, and you follow the redwoods for so long. Such a beautiful drive. It's prime for listening to Voyage of the Dawn Treader :)

10 comments:

Bel said...

That looks like so much fun! :)

<3 Belly B

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Looks like a lot of fun lady!

Maddie said...

*gasp*!! That place looks incredible! I escpecially love the foggy beach pictures, GORGEOUS!

mikey and kimby said...

We're heading to California later this year and I'm thinking this looks like somewhere I'd love to go to! Thanks for sharing!

ashlee bracken. said...

pretty! i was talking about these trees the other day with someone. i want to go again!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

The photos look awesome! Those trees are huge! I didn't know they just cut out a section if it falls down. Wow!

Torrie said...

Looks like fun! Now I want to take a vacation...

P.S. You won my giveaway, but I don't have your email address. Shoot me an email at torrief@gmail.com. Congrats!

Kelsey Cole said...

this is definitely on my list of things to do in my lifetime! (i have never been to the redwoods!) your pictures are gorgeous tho! what a fun weekend:)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I've lived in CA my whole life and never seen the redwoods. It's such a shame! I've never traveled all the way up north down the coast either. I want to so badly.

Meagan Stewart said...

Holy Cow, I forgot how big those trees were!!! ...Dang, I really liked that hike. :)

Blogging tips